Distance – Algoma Universityx
University Affairs, SooToday.com
- Increase applications from Grade12 students
- Entice prospects to visit Algoma University’s website
- Improve Algoma University’s first choice ranking as measured by submissions through OUAC
High-school seniors, post-secondary education students.
Strategy and Media Used:
With competitors fighting for the expected ground of success, employability and self-discovery, Algoma focused on the desire for independence and relief from parental badgering. The campaign ran in the fall of 2009 and again in 2010. It matched images such as a Mohawk hairdo with the words: “Put 681 km between you and ‘Not while you live under my roof!’” The tagline, “Plan your escape,” directed students to the Algoma U website. Media used included OOH, transit, radio, and online advertising, as well as a redesigned website and view book that went beyond the distance messaging to educate students (and their parents) of the institution’s academic credentials.
- The university saw a 133% increase in student applications and a 58% increase in the number of first-choice applicants.
- The campaign drove an 81% increase in unique visitors to the university’s website.
- The campaign earned a CASSIE award for advertising proven to have delivered results.