Please note the following is a summary of information from associated government websites. It is meant as a guide to assist in placing election oriented advertising campaigns. It is for reference only as is not an official interpretation of the governing legislation. The official documents and legal counsel should be consulted to ensure accuracy.
Governed by Nunavut Elections Act
- The cost of the advertising shall be considered a contribution to a candidate where a person, with the knowledge and consent of the candidate, promotes the election of the candidate or opposes the election of another candidate by advertising
- through the facilities of a broadcaster;
- in a newspaper, magazine or other periodical publication or other printed document; or
- through the use of any billboard, sign or outdoor advertising medium.
- All campaign material must identify the candidate for whom it is made and the candidate’s campaign manager, sponsor or financial agent, in accordance with guidelines of the Chief Electoral Officer.
Further guidelines concerning advertising are not outlined in the Act.
For the complete Act, visit:
Amendments current as of December 2016
Date of OMAC update: January 2017