**Please note the following is a summary of information from associated government websites. It is meant as a guide to assist in placing election oriented advertising campaigns. It is for reference only as is not an official interpretation of the governing legislation. The official documents and legal counsel should be consulted to ensure accuracy.
Governed by Manitoba Election Finances Act
- Election Period: The period commencing on the date of issue of a writ or writs for an election and ending on polling day for that election.
- Advertising: Advertising in any broadcast, print or electronic medium that promotes or opposes a registered political party or the election of a candidate.
- Advertising rates
During an election period, no person shall charge a registered political party, constituency association or candidate, or an individual acting with the consent of any of them, a rate for advertising that exceeds the lowest rate the person charges anyone else for the same amount of equivalent advertising space or time during that period.
- The person responsible for authorizing an advertisement must ensure that the authorization is:
- printed on the advertisement
- announced or shown with the advertisement, if the advertisement appears on radio or television or any other electronic medium
For the complete Act, visit:
Amendments current as of December 2013
Date of OMAC update: December 2013