**Please note the following is a summary of information from associated government websites. It is meant as a guide to assist in placing election oriented advertising campaigns. It is for reference only as is not an official interpretation of the governing legislation. The official documents and legal counsel should be consulted to ensure accuracy.
Download the PDF
Governed by Newfoundland and Labrador Elections Act, section 226
- A registered party or candidate and a person, corporation or trade union acting with its or his or her knowledge and consent shall not, after the issue of a writ for an election and before the day immediately following the polling day, except during the period of 21 days immediately preceding the day before polling day,
- advertise on the facilities of a broadcasting undertaking; or
- procure for publication, publish or consent to the publication of, except during that period, an advertisement in a newspaper, magazine or other periodical publication,
for the purpose of promoting or opposing a political party or the election of a candidate.
- This does not apply to:
- advertising of public meetings in districts;
- advertising through the use of outdoor advertising facilities;
- announcing political parties' headquarters locations;
- announcing services for electors by political parties respecting enumeration and revision of lists of electors; or
- another matter respecting administrative functions of political parties
- Rates for advertising
A person, corporation or trade union shall not:
- charge a registered party or candidate, or a person acting with its or his or her knowledge and consent, a rate for broadcasting time or printed space in the period beginning on the 21st day before the day immediately before polling day at an election and ending on the day before polling day, that exceeds the lowest rate charged by him or her or it for an equal amount of equivalent time on the same facilities made available to another person in that period; or
- The rates charged a registered party or candidate for advertising time or space during that same period shall be the same as the rate charged for an equal amount of equivalent broadcasting time or an equal amount of equivalent advertising space outside that period.
- Advertising rates shall be the same for all registered parties or candidates during the period referred to above.
For the complete Elections Act, visit:
Amendments current as of May 2011
Date of OMAC update: November 2012